National Policy & Advocacy Priorities
PIA National staff has reviewed past policy positions and current congressional priorities and consulted with PIA members across the country to develop its 2018 Policy and Advocacy Priorities. While the items below are our top priorities, PIA National is always working to promote the interests of the independent agent, wherever those interests take us.
- Flood Insurance: PIA National supports a long-term reauthorization of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) that also promotes the growth of the private flood insurance market.
- Protection of State Insurance Regulation: PIA National supports a modern, state-based insurance system and opposes any federal regulation or international standards that would threaten it.
- Role & Value of Agents in Healthcare Reform: PIA National supports the critical role that independent agents play in the sale and servicing of health insurance.
- Promotion of Small Businesses & Tax Reform: PIA National supports a clear implementation process for the individual and corporate income tax laws that were passed late last year. PIA National opposes tax provisions and regulations that impede small business growth.
- Cybersecurity: PIA National supports protection of sensitive consumer data using a harm trigger and other methods that are flexible, risk-based, and practical for small businesses.
- Crop Insurance: PIA National supports the vital role that independent agents play in the delivery of crop insurance.