National Policy & Advocacy Priorities
The PIA Government Relations staff has reviewed PIA’s past policy positions and Congress’s current priorities, and, in consultation with PIA members across the country, we have developed these 2022 Issues of Focus. While the items below are our top priorities for 2022, PIA is always working to promote the interests of our independent agent members, wherever those interests take us.
- Reauthorize the National Flood Insurance Program: PIA supports the long-term reauthorization of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
- Protect Crop Insurance: This year, PIA will to advocate to protect the crop insurance program. In addition, with the Farm Bill up for reauthorization at the end of 2023, PIA will continue its work to ensure policymakers understand the critical role PIA’s independent agent members play in delivering this vital program to consumers.
- Create Cannabis Safe Harbor for Agents: PIA strongly supports the Secure And Fair Enforcement (SAFE) Banking Act (H.R. 1996/S. 910), which would protect insurance agents and carriers from federal criminal liability for engaging in the business of insurance with cannabis-related entities in states where cannabis is legal.
- Defend the State Insurance Regulatory System: PIA supports legislation to repeal the Federal Insurance Office (FIO) (S. 524/H.R. 4866). The FIO was created by the 2010 Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act and is an ongoing threat to the successful state insurance regulatory system.
- Make Permanent Tax Relief for Passthrough Entities (S Corporations): PIA supports the Main Street Tax Certainty Act (H.R. 1381/S. 480), which would make permanent the 20 percent tax deduction available to some S corporations, also known as passthrough corporations.